1970 Hemi 'Cuda

Here's another project we are working on. This 1970 Barracuda came in from California, As you veiw the pictures you'll see that not all California cars are good ones! This car came loaded with parts but most were unuseable and are being replaced with new.

This one is going to be a '70 black on white Hemi clone with a 4-speed, shaker, Dana 60 rear with 3:54 gears.

A few dents, some rust issues but generally a decent core car to start with...

The interior has seen better days, and will again...

Anyone need a 383 engine and 727 trans?

I was even able to trade for a rust free flat hood for the shaker conversion.. This all happened before AMD came out the the repo shakers of course!

\

Burning the midnight oil!

Blasting away the old...

Excellent Rails, torsion support, inners, rad support....

We were'nt so lucky with the window channels, floors and trunk!

So, we get rid of them!

Then sandblast and zinc coat everything underneath the repair...

For these small holes, we were able to use the mig to repair them...

Floors are butt welded in place...

A new 4 speed tunnel is added

Trunk and extensions are in..

The 1/4 skin is fitted over top of the old and both get cut out together for a nice tight butt weld with the tig... we used only part of the skin to keep the nice crisp factory bodylines on the door edge and the top of the 1/4. Factory full 1/4's weren't out yet.

 

Trunk corners are robbed from a Donor car and fitted...

Some surprises....

Should we just make it a convertible??

And more surprises...

Once again, out with the bad...

...In with the good. We replaced the old dash, vent intakes, center firewall between the inner fenders with ones from a donor car.  As you can see in the photo, the top corners from the original were in good shape so they were added to the donor piece as the donor had a few holes in this area.

The 'Cuda in the new shop.... As you can see we're still getting organized....

Time to repair the roof structure rot... It's cut out,  a new section is fabricated, then bent on the brake and welded in place...

Front corner cut out and fabricated

And the other side gets cut out and fabricated...

Test fitting the AMD roof skin.. Nice piece, no problems. The AMD drip rails had to go into the stretcher in order to get them to fit better though... we'll get the skin pulled back off, the drip rails welded in place and then epoxy the roof structure before spot welding the skin permanently...

and spot welded in permanently....

The last of the metal work will be trimming out and butt welding this passenger 1/4,  and a small patch on the otherwise decent wheel house! This will all get sanded an zinc primed before the skin is put on.

One of the 2 shaker kits we're doing... Unfortunately we had the kits purchased before AMD came out with the complete hood! In the future, there will be no need to build our own anymore... actually allot of this car would have been easier now that the panels are all available!

Some hammer/dolly and shrinking work is done on the butt welds...

and we've started sanding to bare metal and prepping the car for it's base coat of epoxy...

And into it's base of DP90 Epoxy primer it goes....

Time for finish bodywork and prep for paint....

A bit more finesse is needed on the welds and dings, then it's ready for filler primer and blocking...

Our first coat of high build is a contrasting grey, 90% of which will be sanded off to reveal any remaining high/low spots.

Out of the paint booth into the assembly area...

 

 

 

 

 

Stay tuned for more updates...

Hit Counter

 

MacLean Classics home